Earlier tonight, myself & a few others on the #osx-server channel in the macadmins.org Slack started to receive alerts from our macOS Servers running a Caching Service.
Sadly, it was not just the harmless “Caching service unavailable” alerts that you see at times.
Recently, myself & a few folks have been dealing with issues from profiles deployed via the JSS.
Kitzy has a workaround for the issues affecting 9.82 & screen savers asking for passwords, here.
This was seemingly fixed in 9.9, but other issues have since cropped up & I’ve detailed them below.
As mentioned before we have some scripts that access Airwatch’s REST API.
Sadly a recent update to our SaaS instance to 22.214.171.124 lead to our scripts failing.
Below is a little post with the resolution.
After being nerd sniped by @unknown_err in a channel on the MacAdmins.org Slack, I started writing some client side API scripts.
This lead to an issue with 10.8.x clients connecting to my JSS.
The below is why I saw these SSL errors & a two resolutions, one client side & another server side.
A issue was opened recently for AutoCasperNBI, where 10.11.2 NBI’s generated for not accessible over ARD or VNC.
Some digging revealed this this only affected NBI’s with the “Reduce Image Size” option selected.
NBI’s for 10.7.x – 10.11.1 work fine over ARD or VNC with that option selected, so some investigation was needed. Below is the investigative work, but you can also skip straight to the resolution.
Early today people launching some Mac App Store purchased apps where greeted with errors upon launching them.
This has been pretty widely reported, & after reading a few other articles I started to panic. After which I wanted to try see how this would affect us Mac admins & if I could help detect affected apps.
When trying to bring 10.11 support to AutoCasperNBI & AutoImagrNBI I stumbled across an odd issue.
On the flight to JNUC2015 I loaded up my 10.11 GM VM & figured it out.
Incredulous, I double checked this with James Ridsdale, Darren Wallace & David Acland. All of whom were located near me on the flight & all had their various MacBooks out running Keynote, Terminal &/or were running VM’s (spot the IT Crowd).
Below is what I found, steps to reproduce & a link to the bug on Open Radar.
Recently we found that the JSS was setting our clients Software Update Catalog URL to http://:/index.sucatalog.
Well, as detailed previously, we moved from using Software Update servers to Caching.
The move to caching servers actually meant I shot myself in the foot some & caused my own issue. JAMF Support got me things sorted & below is how & my guess work as to what was happening.
We recently replaced a the certificate on one of out Citrix Access Gateways, everything went well connecting to the CAG via a PC worked fine, but from a Mac we got the below error message.
Luckily for us, Citrix not only have a solution posted on this issue but also give detail as to why it can occur. The solution can be found here.
We use AirWatch as our Mobile Device Management platform, & recently we launched the “Self Service Portal” to our user base.
This also coincided with restructuring our AirWatch SaaS instance, after which we noticed that devices could only be seen that we enrolled into the new organisation group. But we only had 20 devices in this new structure, with 500 enrolled on the old. So those that were on the old structure would see the below when logging into the “Self Service Portal.”
After a couple of weeks of troubleshooting, which verified that we had all setup correctly, AirWatch support pointed us to a simple solution.