A week after the recent updated Terms & Conditions, we saw DEP sync errors reappear in our datajar.mobi deployments.
Below is some detail on what has caused these new sync errors & how to resolve.
Recently we updated all our datajar.mobi instances to Jamf 10.7.1, for Mojave support.
All went well. Except for a couple of instances where their Jamf Infrastructure Manager was being used as an LDAP Proxy.
Well, turns out this was a change to Java 8 Update 181, which we updated to at the same time. And, that this is an issue not just with Jamf Infrastructure Manager, but could be with LDAPS in general.
Below details these changes, & overcoming this issue.