The “Automatic Proxy Configuration” url in System Preferences is used to point the clients to a PAC file to set the proxy server when on the Office LAN. Below are some scripts to manage this setting.
For my future deployments, i’ve decided to partition my managed Macs HD’s with 33% for the OS (which i’ve kept as being called Macintosh HD) & the remaining 67% as User data (which i’ve labelled Users HD).
To do this i’ve been using fstab to mount the “Users HD” partition to /Users. Below is how i achieve this, hope it helps.
Subject’s a mouthful eh? Basically, I needed for my 10.7 Macs to authenticate to our RADIUS wireless network using PEAP authentication & the Mac’s Certificate from our domain.
Below are the steps taken.
Recently we setup a 10.7 Mac Server in our DMZ & clustered this with our main JSS to enable external clients connectivity to our JSS & for them to be able to use Self Service & ASUS when off the network.
However we’ve had some issues getting the distribution point to work over HTTPS, however HTTP & AFP worked fine.
Below are some details on the steps taken to investigate this issue, and resolve.
After upgrading my servers to 10.7.3, I received the error message “Error Reading Settings” when clicking the “Web Service” in “Server.app”.
With the release of 10.7.3 Server you can now perform port redirects via the “Server.app.” With that in mind & the fact that I had manually added a redirect as mentioned here, i decided to revert my web service back to the default settings & then apply the redirect using “Server.app”
To reset the web service back to default settings i ran the below with Server.app not running:
sudo serveradmin command web:command=restoreFactorySettings
I then relaunched “Server.app” clicked web service & we were back in business!
The below is hugely plagarised from a script posted by Mark Bolwell to the Mac Enterprise list.
I use a version of the below in my Casper Imaging workflow to configure the a VPN Cisco IPSec network connection. As i run it at Imaging time i’ve added some logic so it only runs on MacBook models (which you may wish to remove).
The difference for using the below to the other versions i’ve seems is that this method can be ran “silently” with no GUI interaction. As such it can be leveraged to be used with Self-Service.
UPDATE: With the release of 10.7.3, you can now do this via "Server.app", so i'd advise against the below method. If you have used the below & upgraded to 10.7.3 & have an error in "Server.app" when managing the web service, click here.
Port redirection is (simply put), where an end user enters: http://mygreatwebsite.com & they are redirected to http://mygreatwebsite.com:(someport).
On Snow Leopard server you could easily set port redirects from within the Server Admin.app, but in Lion server this has all been changed.
The basics of how to enable virtual hosts on Lion server, is covered in this post. As well as links to the more advanced options.
Once Virtual Hosts have been enabled, editing /private/etc/apache2/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf enable the redirects.
UPDATE: The below can now be completed using 'Server.app' & as such i'd not advise you perform redirects this way. If you have performed the redirects as directed below, you may have an error which has a resolution mentioned here.
With the move to Lion Server, Apple stripped moved administering the Web service from the new Server.app.
This over-simplification has caused me some head scratching as many of the options I’d become familiar with had been replaced with little more than an On/Off switch.
But don’t fret! It turns out that these options still exist, it’s just you need to hunt for them.
Virtual hosts are best explained in the opening paragraph here. To enable this on Lion Server do the following
We run the following on all macs with a wireless card as a offline policy via Casper at logout.
This script will:
- Enable the wireless service if it’s not been enabled.
- Clear any set DNS servers & search domains (can be turned off for 10.4, reasoning is that 10.5+ can receive DNS from DHCP)
- Turns off the wireless card.
The script itself has been built from a few scripts contained within Caspers Resource Kit & then modified for 10.7+ by myself.
UPDATE: Now works with Lion as it reads the correct node name as seen in Directory Utility.
Having recently started a new role, I needed a mechanism for my Mac users to map drives & printers at login.
Script Logic’s Desktop Authority is used by my new employs PC Admins to mount drives & printers on the PC Clients.
This is using AD Security Groups to map both drives & printers & I decided to follow this methodology for the Mac clients.
This solution actually has 3 parts;
- AppleScript App
- Postflight Script
And below, I’ll piece it all together.