SharePoint Newsfeed iOS App “We couldn’t get new data right now, try again later.”

Standard

5ff19f00-b766-47c1-86a0-db3638446ecc?imageType=ws_icon_large

Shortly after we resolved the an issue where the SharePoint Newsfeed iOS App was crashing, we found an issue where some people’s NewsFeed apps were getting the error  “We couldn’t get new data right now, try again later.”

There are actually 2 solutions to this error, the 2nd is below & more than a little bit of hair pulling was involved!

The 1st solution is to make sure that in the username field, you prefix the username with the domain, like;

    domain\username

If that still doesn’t work, then please proceed!!

Shown below on the is the app with an issue…

Newsfeed_Broken_1

Shown below is the app working:

Newsfeed_Fixed_1The setting that is causing the issue is actually present in both of the the above images, if you missed it i’ll give you a hint;

Newsfeed_Fixed_2Newsfeed_Broken_2

As you can see above, the issue was caused by those iOS devices that had the issue having their Clock set to 12-Hour time & not 24-Hour time. This also showed on the logs on SharePoint as the problematic devices were requesting data from 01/01/1970.

10 thoughts on “SharePoint Newsfeed iOS App “We couldn’t get new data right now, try again later.”

    • WordPress.com Support

      Err… From last paragraph “As you can see above, the issue was caused by those iOS devices that had the issue having their Clock set to 12-Hour time & not 24-Hour time. “

      • Derek

        Hmmm. So the clock on the iOS device needs to be in 24 hour time format? Strange since it was working fine in 12 hour format up until a few days ago. I put my iOS device in 24 hour format and it still didn’t resolve.

        • Ben Toms

          Sound like same error but different issue sadly.

          We can recreate the issue & resolution on multiple iOS Devices.

          • Derek

            Yeah, I’m trying to rack my brain if there was an update to either my iOS device or our SharePoint server lately that this can be tied to…

            • WordPress.com Support

              Definitely seeing this on 1.2 of the app.

              All I can verify of our SharePoint install is that this one is 2013 on premise.

              Authentication is basic, not Kerberos or forms. Maybe that could be an issue

  1. Derek

    Also, strange thing to note – if you uninstall the app and reinstall it (even while still in 12 hour format) it works, but then after closing the app and leaving it closed for a while and re-opening it – it gives the error.

      • Derek

        It appears that adding the domain\ solved the problem. Funny how it never fussed before this last week however. Must have been an update to either the Office Server family or the iOS app. Either way, thanks for finding this solution!

        • WordPress.com Support

          Awesome. That hit me earlier. I’ll update this post.

          Thanks for getting back to me.

          Have a good one!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.