UPDATE: For 10.8+ see: Managing Apple Software Update Server Across Multiple Servers 10.8+.
An internal Apple Software Update Server (ASUS) allows administrators to control what software updates client computers download etc.. more information about this service can be found here.
This all works great, but the initial setup requires you to manually tick each update to enable it to be downloaded.
This can be a bit of a pain especially when managing mulitple servers.
The following post advises on how to setup a Master ASUS with other servers Replicating the enabled updates. Saving the Admin time when setting up new servers & allowing central management.
Setting up Master Apple Software Server:
- Enable ASUS on the server you wish to use as your Master Apple Software Server & configure as required.
- Enable any updates you wish to clients to be able to download.
- Test on a client computer.
Easy peasy so far.. nothing out of the norm.
Cascading your Master Apple Software Update Server:
- Remote onto an OSX Server you with to use as an ASUS replica.
- Stop the Software Update Service.
- In Terminal, run the following commands. Replace swupdate.example.com with the URL of the server you want to be the Master Software Update Server.
- If this server has ran ASUS before, do the following to reset:
- Launch Server Admin & connect to the Replica ASUS, select the Software Update service.
- Click on the Setting icon then do the following:
- Tick: “Copy ALL updates from Apple”
- Tick: “Automatically enable copied updates”
- Untick: “Delete outdated software updates”
- Start Software Update Service.
- All updates enabled on the Master ASUS will now be enabled on all Replica ASUS too.
Replicating 10.6 updates with a 10.5 server
- Stop ASUS on the 10.5 replica.
- Download http://swscan.apple.com/content/meta/mirror-config-1.plist and copy it to /usr/share/swupd/html/content/meta/mirror-config-1.plist
- Change it to look like this: (Replace swupdate.example.com with the URL of the Master Software Update Server).
- Open Terminal & run the following command:
- Start ASUS on the replica & wait for it to download the catalog files in /private/var/db/swupd/html.
- Once the catalog files have appeared, create some symbolic links by doing the following:
- 10.6 updates should now start being downloaded.